→ The French Republic
– failure of the Second Republic (revolution of 1848, Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte, coup d’état)
– end of the Second Empire (authoritarian regime, war against Prussia in 1870, Republic on September 4, 1870, Léon Gambetta, Paris Commune in 1871, institutions, crisis of May 16, 1877)
– renewal of the Republic (idea of a Republic, Jules Ferry, the radicals, Georges Clemenceau, institutions of the Republic, secular school, General Boulanger, Panama scandal)
– dreyfus affair (leakage of military documents of the Dreyfus affair, judgments, Zola, problem of religion)
– political life of the Republic (Bloc des gauches, radical republican party, radical-socialist republican party, SFIO in 1905, Jean Jaurès, Maurras’ Action française, social unrest)
→ Aspects of the economy and society in France
– dynamic French economy (rise of industry in France, country’s wealth poorly utilized, customs tariff of 1892, French agriculture, second industrial revolution, foreign trade)
– french society in transformation (French population, rurality in France, working class, model of the bourgeoisie and diversity of this bourgeoisie)
Louis Napoleon Bonaparte
One thought on “II. 3 France from 1848 to 1914”
Hello, I would like to take the common entrance examination for the 2nd year at sciences po. I would have liked to know the history program Europe 1848-1945 in more detail; namely, what are the major themes, and above all can a subject relate to a particular European country, or only to Europe as a whole? Moreover, if I take political science, which method should I apply? Thank you.
Comments are closed.